Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Craigslist...



Have you heard of it?  If not, you probably live under a rock.  Okay, so maybe some people just haven’t heard of it, fine I accept that!  Anyway, lately I’ve been addicted!

    We’re in the process of getting ‘new’ furniture and redoing our bathroom.  So whereas some things will be brand new and some will just be ‘new’ to us, why pay full price?!  If you know me, which no one reading this will, you know I DO NOT pay full price for anything.  Well, almost anything.  Some things you really don’t have an option on.  Anyway, anyway, this is where Craigslist comes in.  It is such an awesome place to go to find new or used things for SO MUCH CHEAPER than stores.  Here is a list of some items I’ve recently purchased and their AMAZING prices:

1)  Modern Section Couch:  This sucker is about 9'x9' so a nice size.  Granted it is 5 years old but I checked it out before buying.  The cushions feel sturdy, it's scotch-guarded, and clean!  I suppose there could be bed bugs (ewww) but I didn't notice any signs of them.  And best of all, I bought it for $420!  Compare that to around $1,000 + for a nice couch that doesn't even include tax and deliver!  Boo Yah!

image 0
My 'new' couch bought for $420!

2)  Plain rectangular mirror:  This is a 2' x 3' mirror that I plan to hang in our bathroom (getting rid of the medicine cabinet clunker currently in there).  I will probably get my own frame or border for it so ultimately it will cost a little more than the $30 I paid for it but still, it's cheaper AND it will be something I totally love :)

image 0
Those legs belong to the previous owner :p

3)  Ottoman - Now I'm not 100% committed on this yet as I haven't seen it in person and want to bring my couch cushion to see if it would match but I'm about 90% this will work!  It's listed at $60 but I'm hoping to talk the guy down to $50 or $55.  I think it would be a cook funky fabric that would nicely compliment the couch!

image 0
You can't quite tell from this picture but there is some blue in there

4)  DIAPERS!  Last but not least.  Again, I haven't bought this yet but I'm going to go check them out and possibly buy today.  It is always great to find a good deal on something that we 'need'.  Even though I don't need diapers per se, they don't hurt to have and it's always good to have some in rotation.

Now with all my lovely purchases here are some tips I would give while Craigslist shopping:

1) Make sure there is a REAL picture, not some stock photo from the website.  If you don't get a real picture how are you going to see that it doesn't have any problems?  Plus, there could be some slight variations.

2)You are NOT committed to buy if you go to look.  Obviously you don't want to frivolously waste someone else's time (you'd be pissed if it happened to you right?) but if you really don't like it or it's not what is advertised you don't have to buy it!

3) EVERYTHING is negotiable.  The worst someone can say is 'no'.  I haven't always negotiated if I really felt something was already really cheap and it's a lower priced item... but you can always ask.  

4)  If you do negotiate though and you're asking for a lot off, have a reason.  For example, I asked for $30 off the listed price for the couch.  I might have been able to get more but I noted the exact price of renting a cleaner to clean it and the cost of travel/gas to get it.  The seller understood and accepted that.

5)  If at all possible go with someone to another person's house (or have someone with you at yours).  If that isn't possible suggest meeting in a public place.  Yes, I've gone to people's houses on my own before but they were women with whom I'd spoke with previously.  It just depends on your comfort level.  But you just don't know who is out there these days.

6)  Pay with cash.  It's courteous and most people prefer that anyway.  Then there is no question on if your check is valid or going to bounce.

7) Be patient.  Because these are individual people they're not going to have a whole warehouse of things to chose from.  Chances are you're not going to find what you want right away.  Start looking some time in advanced of when you NEED something so you don't end up settling.

Those are just some of my thoughts regarding Craigslist, I had more thoughts than I thought I did!  Ha!


Have fun shopping people :)

Pace,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment